Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Things That Make You Think

Today we had an event happen that has really made me think a bit. I was doing my last project for my nutrition class and had figured that when I finished I would submit it and then do my blog for this week, and as simple as it sounds that's not how I spent my afternoon. It seems that somewhere in a neighboring county a fiber optics line was cut and knocked out cell phone service, internet service and much of the telephone land lines, there was no access to 911 for most people. It also disrupted broadcast from two local radio stations. This one cut fiber optics cable knocked out banking services for the afternoon and left a large portion (several counties)of the Texas Hill Country without a means of communication.What really made me think was how dependent we have become on cell phones and internet. Unfortunately it's not just me that's so dependent on these services, but many other people and many businesses. This afternoon I was forced to dust off the radio and turn it on (I don't have network or cable tv) to find out what was going on. It was an unusual afternoon to say the least. My daughter-in-law came over with the grandkids and after determining all was ok with the world we sat around talking and visiting and listening to the oldies station.

1 comment:

  1. When my cell phone is not working or my internet is slow, I have no patience. I am very dependent. I wonder how much we would visit relatives and friends if we did not have all of our "gadgets".

    ReplyDelete